Tuesday, June 15, 2010

And it begins!

Hi All! (Or Hi great wide internet!)

Let's start by me introducing myself, My name is Jessica and as stated in my brief bio to the left *points*, I'm in my mid-twenties, married, etc. I've always loved horses and started riding at a very young age. I bought my first horse at 16, and now with the addition of UK have owned a total of three horses. I ride english and western, I used to compete (and now don't have the time or the money), I managed multiple barns, including an "A" Circuit barn and taught riding to humans and taught horses too! I currently no longer work full time in the horse world, and just train a couple horses on the side for friends.

But enough about me!

I am the proud new owner of a sweet 8yr old APHA/PtHA chestnut tobiano gelding named The Diversified U K! I've started this blog to chronicle his progress and life in the times to come. He's a big sweety, and worthy of a lot of love and kindness.
I bought him from a very nice Mother and Daughter who bought him in January. The daughter is a novice, and UK was just too green for them. He came to them head-shy and scared. Someone before them did a lot of not nice things to this sweet boy, and it breaks my heart that he went through that!

So here is my mission! To help him know kindness and to forget pain, to know he's safe and won't be beaten. I'll establish boundaries so he feels safe and we'll continue with his training. We'll ride english and western, and do a little jumping. I want to get him in shape, maybe go to a fair, and I'd really love to ride him in The Ride For the Cure this Fall!

I purchased him and brought him home to my friend Betsy's barn on 06/13/10. Then quickly loaded up my TB mare and brought her new home. When I got back I gave him a good grooming.
Day 2: After work we got groomed, lunged a bit and then ridden lightly! He was fantastic, even with the cars and people walking their dogs past the ring!

Today is Day 3: He seems to be finally getting settled, so when I turned him and his pasture mate (The 32yr old QH mare Savannah) I opened the gate to the big grass field. Boy did he get happy, and then he spooked and glued himself to his new friend.
Oooh What's over here?SniffingI'm going to stick by you...
TTFN!

-Jessica/EnglishCowgirl

2 comments:

  1. Is this the very beginning - I'm excited for you - and would love to know the rest of the story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the very beginning, and thank you!

    ReplyDelete