Wednesday, January 5, 2011

New Year, New Friends

On January 1, 2011 I met my friend Kristy at my Mother-in-law's house and we all climbed in her truck to go pick up Kristy's new horse, Dacharia.

I had already been to the barn prior and took all the blankets off UK and Savannah as it was in the 50's! The weather was glorious! I was really enjoying only needing a sweatshirt for warmth.

UK proved just how weird he is by never rolling once, all day... Most horses roll like crazy once rid of the evil blankets. I think UK is secretly OCD or something. I just don't know, as he gets plenty of poop and mud on him in the summer. Oh well, I guess I should just be grateful.

Anyways, on to Dacharia! Queen Bee is her registered name, she's an imported German Westfalen Mare, 16 years old and 16.3 hand high. She had been shown since age 2 in the Jumpers and then later on Equitation. She was jumped until she developed a bone spur in her right hind. She is sound currently and really needing to just be a horse for awhile. The mare is stubborn and smart but pretty darn bombproof. Kristy fell for her pretty quickly when we went to look at her.

Once we brought her to the barn UK was so excited! A new friend? For me?
But Mom? Another girl? Geez....

There was no epic screaming match, chasing or anything like that. A couple squeals and head tosses and they were done. Savannah could have cared less, it was UK who was the most excited. They quieted down and chilled for awhile. I cleaned the barn and ignored them for a bit.

Kristy and I decided to show Dacharia that she could go out in the big field later in the afternoon. UK helped us by leading the way, and Dacharia eagerly followed. It was very cute, horsey glee was very evident.

I have to say that despite the fact she's a fancy warmblood with extensive dressage training, my little paint gelding seems to be a better mover naturally. She has the knowledge, but he has raw talent. Of course I'm bias as he's my guy, but he really seems to have a certain grace to his movements that can't be denied.

I ended up riding him in the dark the next day. That's my resolution, that if I plan to ride I WILL RIDE. No matter what, within reason of course. I'm not going to ride if the weather is extreme or I get hurt, but you get my point. So I procrastinated on Sunday and got to the barn late and was going to wuss out, but decided that this would be another great learning experience for UK. So I tacked up and went out after the sun had set. The ring was sloppy due to the rain we had gotten Saturday night.

It was a great ride, he behaved himself very well considering he didn't want to leave his new girlfriend. I used to ride Jake in all weather and in all times of day. I would get mad when the indoor had 20 people riding and take Jake and ride in a dark half flooded outdoor just to get some space. So riding in the dark is nothing new.

Due to the iffy footing we only did walk/trot, but with lots of suppling and stretching. Once I got his attention off of Dacharia he buckled down and did some really nice work. In the end we managed to trot some very nice straight lines down the long quarter lines. Getting him to go straight so easily was HUGE! Due to the "headset training" he got when he was 2 and 4 he is constantly trying to go behind the bit with his whole body bent one way or another. So getting him to trot forward and straight and into the bit was fantastic.

What's next? More work to try to keep him balanced at the canter once there is enough snow on the ground to cushion us again. He has a short attention span, but if you use your time right he doesn't forget what he's learned.

Now here's hoping we get more snow soon!

Also, one more cute picture (Kristy and Dacharia)!

No comments:

Post a Comment