Saturday, June 18, 2011

Lyme disease and Rodeos

So I rode UK again, as I was planning to after the last time and he was really off. Not lame, just not right. He had no energy and knocked down a crossrail at the canter, which is so not like him. Then he started to not finish his breakfast in the morning. He'd been loosing weight, which at first I thought was due to the heat and the bugs.  What really scared me is when he'd just stand listless in his stall, almost looking depressed. Normally he has to be watching everything, he's very nosy.

My gut told me he had Lyme disease, now I just need the vet to confirm that suspicion. I love my vets, they're a long way away but I've known them for years. Now I have the added bonus of having my mother working there as well. I emailed her with a summary of UK's symptoms and waited. Very soon I heard from one of the vets and he agreed that UK had Lyme. I went and picked up the massive amount of Doxycycline and prepared for the three week stretch of twice a day dosing.

UK is so mad at me. I gave him a chance, I tried to see if he'd eat the doxy in his grain but no go. He's so picky he won't even eat applesauce on it's own. So now I have the twice a day ritual of prepping his meds and then dosing him. He fights, tries to evade but in the end I always win. UK has been punishing me by rolling in the dirtiest spots he can find, giving me the silent treatment and always managing to get some doxy on my clothing.

Now I'm trying to balance taking care of him and going back and forth from the Goshen Stampede. I'm helping my friend Robin who is a vendor at the rodeo. The barrel racing was last night and I so wanted to compete. I miss going fast in the worst way! I have no idea if UK has any speed yet. I think he'll be a good distance runner but I'm not so sure he'll be a good sprinter. Jake was stupid fast, make your eyes water from the speed fast. Boy could that horse launch! Hold him back, then lean forward and say "git pony!" and he'd take off like a jet dragster!

Oh well, I need to get going. Lots of things to do and places to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment