Sunday, February 19, 2012

We jumped!

The last few days of warm and sunny weather thawed our outdoor ring to the point that it'd gotten a bit muddy. However, muddy meant the ground wasn't frozen solid for once! So instead of riding western and trail riding like we usually would do, I tacked Mister Yuke up english and set up a couple jumps in the ring. 

We'd been doing a lot of bareback work (for my benefit, as bareback is even more of a workout then no-stirrups) with collecting and extending, circles, bending, etc. So I didn't bother doing a lot of flatting before getting to work (also, I have low energy reserves because I'm sick. Again.). UK and I haven't jumped since the beginning of December, so I wasn't entirely sure how he'd react. Would he get excited? Or would he stop? I had no idea, and he's never had that long of a break before. 

Well, all my worrying was for nothing. UK was excellent. First we trotted a little crossrail, and he popped over it nice and neatly. We did it again, cantering away after landing, doing some canter work on the right lead, simple change across the diagonal and then back to trot to do the crossrail off the left. After we cantered the crossrail off the left, we did some canter work that direction and then another simple change back across the diagonal. We walked half the ring then we trotted the vertical (2ft or 2'3" ish), then we cantered it, then the same thing the other direction. As soon as we landed after cantering the vertical one last time, we walked, halted, and I hopped off, so we could walk out together. 

When UK is truly excellent I get off quickly, praise him, and loosen his girth right away, so he learns that doing his job right the first time means we finish quicker and he has to work less. This approach has really worked for him, as it makes it very clear that he won't be forced to do the same thing over and over again (which is why he used to be miserable doing western pleasure). 

It was so nice to get to ride my horse over some jumps again! I love jumping so much, and it's even more enjoyable when my horse loves it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment