Friday, July 9, 2010

Heatwave!

So, as I'm sure most of you know, we've been having quite the heatwave up here in the northeast! I seriously am not a big fan of summer weather. The heat, the sweat and the bugs just don't make it seem worth it to me.
Anyhoo, the weather has made horsekeeping a bit more tricky of late. UK and Sav have a huge amount of paddock available to them, but almost no shade. So our solution is to have them in the barn all day, with a fan going and lots of water available to them. Then once it cools off in the evening they get turned out all night and brought back in in the morning.
Sav knows the drill (which I would hope as she's 32) and seemed perfectly happy with our solution. UK however was a bit confused, although he seemed to really enjoy going out for the night.
So we've been sticking to this pattern all week, until today. Today was much better and I kicked them back outside after breakfast.

So..... I saw the doctor yesterday, and as long as I'm careful I am cleared to ride again!!!! WOOOOOOOOT! I've been going into withdrawal and it hasn't been pleasant. If not for the heat I would have ridden yesterday after work, but it would not have been fair to UK.
My mind has been stuck on a constant chanting loop of: "Gotta Ride, Got To Ride, GOTTA RIDE, Got to ride!, RIDE, Gotta RIDE!" (you get the idea)
I'm out of shape and overweight, and riding is important part of getting me back into shape and being able to fit into my breeches again. Going from working in a barn full time (including teaching and the constant movement that goes with it) to sitting behind a desk five days a week with lots of driving really hurt me weight wise. So I'm on a mission to get back into shape now that I have a horse that I enjoy riding!
Sooo I'm going to try for a quick ride tonight and then a better one tomorrow if the storms don't ruin the whole day (I'll ride in the rain, but not in a Tstorm).
Wow I'm even getting all excited thinking about riding, this is sad!

Sometime soon, I'll be putting up a post dedicated to my late boyo, Jake, so you all will understand my references a little better. He's the horse I'm kissing in the photo on the left above my information.

Stay cool!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, the heat is not fun. We got an air conditioner for the bedroom so Charlie wouldn't melt.

    The local fair starts tomorrow and we are taking Charlie to the horse barn...she's going to be in lovvvvvvvvvvvvve and then I'll work on her to start on the grandparents for a pony lol

    ReplyDelete