Monday, July 12, 2010

A video I'd like to share, riding update and my anniversary!



So this video is fantastic! Made me all teary!


I rode UK on Saturday, just a quick ride. It was still pretty hot out and he wasn't terribly pleased that I wanted to ride. So he tried pulling some spooks in an attempt to get me to give in and get up. Silly boy, I'm not like your last mama! After I made him go forward past the two spots he was spooking at, I dismounted and walked him outside the ring, showing him the road that is on the other side of the brush he was spooking at. I told he must feel stupid, and that he really needs to trust me when I say there is nothing to be afraid of. I got back on and he was DEAD. Omg, made me wish I had brought a crop! Good workout for my legs though. He ended with a fantastic canter again, with him slobbering and being all soft on the bit. Then he had a fun time walking out, as my sister Abby and my other sister Julia(she's a sister by everything other then blood) were at the barn with me. Julia got to walk him out for me, as I walked on the ground. UK liked playing follow the leader, and it showed how far our relationship has progressed. I did fast turns and sudden stops and he stayed right behind me at a respectful distance, his head never going past my shoulders. XD

Now then, as for today, July 12.... Today is my wedding anniversary. Today is also the anniversary of Jake's death. Needless to say it's a hard day for me. Exactly two years ago today I had a day of horrific tragedy and wonderful joy all in one. It's a long story, and I'll do a special post dedicated to it sometime soon, as he deserves it. Jake was my equine soulmate (don't get me wrong, I love UK but it's not the same). I don't think it was possible for someone to dislike him, he had so many friends of so many species.
I still tear up when a random memory pops into my head or a certain song comes on the radio. We never saw it coming, as sometimes you miss the little signs when you see someone almost everyday. He was one of a kind, and I know that's a cliche but it's true in his case. Everyone who ever met him remembers him. Some days all I want to do is get on him one last time and just go, galloping into the sunset. My hair flying out behind me and tears being pulled from my eyes by the wind because he could run so fast.

Jake, aka "Fast As U" 1995 to July 12, 2008
I miss you, I love you and I'll never forget you. My chunky Canadian Quarter Horse with a heart of gold and incredible intelligence. You made so many lives better for knowing you.

Now that I've used up a bunch of tissues, I should get back to work...

1 comment:

  1. Hello, I am the one that made that video and I just want to thank you for recognizing it and posting it in your blog!! That means a lot to me!
    (I promise I'm not some stalker, there's this thing on youtube called "insight" and it tells me where my videos have been embedded :P)
    Also, I am sorry to hear your horse Jake.. He was very gorgeous! Losing a horse is never easy :(
    x x Best wishes

    ReplyDelete