Tuesday, March 29, 2011

So where do I start?

A lot has happened in the last couple of weeks...

Well we'll start with the big one. Savannah died last week. I got to the barn last Monday (the 21st) to feed the horses in the morning to find her dead in her stall. She died sometime after Kristy and I had left on Sunday night. No signs of a struggle or pain, she just lay down and went to sleep.
We all agreed that she made sure to prove us wrong by surviving the winter and technically not dying till the first day of spring. As usual Sav made sure everything was on her terms.
Monday night Kristy, Betsy and I met in the barn and toasted Sav as the "Grand Dam of 1832 Farm" with some wine and stories of her exploits. It's always bittersweet when you loose an old friend, but we all agreed that Sav wouldn't have wanted it to end any other way.
Miss Sugar Jar, aka Savannah
UK has been pretty depressed about loosing his friend. Kristy and I free lunged him with Dacharia on Thursday and it seemed to perk him up a bit. I don't think he's dealt with death before, but unfortunately it is part of life. 

Prior to Sav dying and afterwards I've been lunging UK a lot in preparation of riding him again once the weather cooperates. He's doing pretty well and didn't really forget anything. He got to jump while being free lunged a couple of times and he was very excited about it. I cannot get over how much this horse enjoys jumping! He never tries to go around or anything like that. He locks on to the jump and does it with joy in his heart.

Well, hopefully I'll get to ride my horse soon. It's supposed to snow for three days in a row later this week... ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment