Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Never Ending April Showers

It has rained every day for over a week straight. And when it isn't raining the bugs are swarming. Then this week the heat started. Yesterday reached almost 80degrees, which is far too hot for horses that haven't finished shedding out their winter coats.

Then on Easter Sunday I got sick. I've been battling a sore throat, chronic cough and congestion plus generally feeling like utter crap.

I went to clean the barn and bring the horses in last night and I was shaky and coughing and just bleh... Then I had a strong impulse to ride. I had tried riding the day before, but just as I finished grooming UK it started to pour.

So I groom and tacked up UK, while almost coughing up a lung. It was muggy, buggy and the sun was starting to set. I lunged UK briefly, walked him over the tarp covered calvaletti and then hopped on. UK was fantastic. We did some lateral work, circles, poles, etc. Eventually we jumped a small vertical at the trot and the canter. He wasn't paying attention at the trot, so we knocked it down once each direction. This was another way he behaved himself, as I had to dismount each time and put it back up, then get back on. He could've care less about me hoping on and off.  He jumped the vertical at the canter like a champ.

In mid air over the vertical I realized something. I trust UK. This is the first time in a long time that I've had that feeling. I know UK will still spook and occasionally be fresh, but he never does anything with ill intent.  Tess was a whole different story, she would randomly drop a shoulder and slam on the brakes or dive sideways.

UK has this huge wish to please, he trusts me to not hurt him or put him in a dangerous situation. He only gets anxious when he thinks he isn't doing exactly what I'm asking. He was that way last night, we were cantering a bending two stride line of poles, and he got so mad when he didn't listen to my leg and wasn't able to stay balanced. It was adorable!

It's raining again now, but hopefully I'll get to ride him again on Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment