Thursday, May 19, 2011

Rain, rain, and more dreary rain.

My hair is a riotous puff of frizz, encouraged to this by the incessant and unrelenting rain. The concrete aisle in the barn is constantly wet, and the horses always have muddy legs.

YUCK!

Up until yesterday it was at least warm while it rained, but yesterday was very cold. I groomed both the horses while they ate their breakfast and then put their turnout sheets on. The shedding has not ceased, and in fact has accelerated. So not only was I damp, but I was now covered in chestnut and white hair. I released the horses out into the foggy downpour and then slogged my way back to my car.

It has rained everyday since last Sunday and both UK and I are pretty miserable. He's bored and so am I. We're both greatly looking forward to a bit of sun and a chance to do something.

Last night I returned to the barn to give UK and Dacharia their spring shots. Kristy met me at the barn so I could show her how to do an intramuscular injection when I gave the horses their shots. Before we let the horses in we went up into the hayloft to assess the hay situation. I opened one of the hayloft doors and UK found it highly alarming that I suddenly was so high above him. Kristy and I greatly enjoyed talking to him, he kept trotting back and forth then stopping and staring at me with big eyes and alert ears.

Yup, like that.
Dacharia could have cared less, and was very satisfied when we dropped the bales down so she could munch. 

UK was a very good patient and was rewarded with a studmuffin for his stiff upper lip. I have to admit feeling a bit guilty about sticking him with needles, feels a lot like having to give a shot to a little kid. Eyes focused on you with a mixture of anticipating pain and bravery. 

So say a prayer, knock on wood and what have you that the rain takes a break for awhile!



No comments:

Post a Comment