Sunday, May 15, 2011

Spring time fun!

For Mother's Day I went with my friend Robin, who owns The Gifted Pony, LLC to help her with her booth/tent at a horse show up in Mass. I was really impressed with the little show, and love the fact that they have a green horse division. I'm seriously going to try to bring UK up there for his first show. Not too big, not too small and nice people.

I rode him western this week as I was trying out a used saddle. The tree was too wide so I ended up giving it back, but it was tons of fun riding him western. His pokey western trot is so comfy, and then his canter was fun, as he just kept getting lower and lower as I gave him more reins. I wasn't even riding him in a bit with a curb, just a sweet iron eggbutt snaffle. I think he was partially showing off for his girlfriend as Kristy was riding Dacharia at the same time.

Yesterday I decided that I should start getting him ready for a show environment... I purchased fake flowers at the local dollar store. *Evil Laugh Here* Because I know with my luck UK would have a heart attack if his first time dealing with them was at a show.

As predicted, UK was not sure how he felt about them when I first presented them for his inspection.
What do you mean they're not for eating?!
I brought the plastic bag full of the fake flowers with me to the ring and left it sitting in the middle of the ring while I had UK do some free-lunging flatwork. He did really well, listening and reacting to my voice commands better then ever. He actually worked instead of just running around the ring like a crazy man. When he'd gone both directions, I let him chill while I put up an outside two stride line with flowers underneath each. Because I knew he'd be chicken at first I left them as little half rails, so he'd be able to stay safe if he got awkward.

Turns out I was right. He cantered right up to the first jump like a pro, then BAM he saw the flowers, threw on the brakes and booked it for the other side of the ring. He repeated that twice, I just talked him through it and then with a great show of nerves he jumped the first jump but cut out in order not to jump the second one as he didn't realize that one had flowers too! I talked him through it, and he came back and did the line. We then changed directions and did them the other way. Lots of praise ensued and he got to take a break again while I put poles up so they were now verticals instead of half rails. 


It's not the best video, as I used my cell phone. But it still shows how cute he is, and how much he loves to jump. I'm not even holding the whip, or urging him forward with my hands. All I use is my voice and I just stand in the middle. 

It is so satisfying to see all my hard work start to pay off. He's less fearful and more confident of himself, and I'm so very proud of him! 

Now hopefully it'll stop raining so I can ride him again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment